Geovative Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Support > GeoTour Web Application
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Selling Tours - Security?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling Tours - Security?
    Posted: 17 May 2008 at 4:06pm
Hello:

Thanks for such a great site!
I'm relatively new to GPS, so excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I proposed using your premium service and selling tours to raise money for our non-profit, and one of my  advisory board members asked me this question, so now I'm asking you: If we create tours and sell them through your premium service - what security is in place to prevent our tours from being copied and re-distributed for free, or sold by someone else?

Mari
geovative View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geovative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 7:34pm
Mari,
I'm glad to hear you are thinking about utilizing GeoTours Premium to sell tours on your site.  We have taken steps to prevent unauthorized use of your sold tours, but we are limited by the download formats.  In the case of Garmin TourGuide downloads and GeoTours Mobile download files, we write unique information into the download formats which would identify the tour content as being created by you on our site.  This would allow you to verify whether the tour being offered by someone else is indeed the tour you created.  Unfortunately, there's no way we can tie the content to a specific device, so if the content can be saved to a PC prior to sending it to the device if the user chooses.  Another step we've taken to prevent piracy is to limit the download time a user can download a tour after purchasing it.  Currently if a user purchases one of your tours, the user has 14 days to download the file before it expires.  This helps prevent users from being able to send the download information to others.

Separately, I know that Apple iTunes and Amazon have recently taken steps to provide unprotected MP3 files and have had success. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic