Geovative Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Support > GeoTour Web Application
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

journey vs destination oriented GPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: journey vs destination oriented GPS
    Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 11:45am
Hello, I bought my first GPS a few weeks ago while on a week long motorcycle camping trip through 5 states. I was trying to travel back roads and kept getting lost. Another motorcyclist I met along the way suggested I go down to walmart and buy a gps. I always thought that they where a lot of money, and did not know much about them, so I never messed with them. 

Well any way I went down to walmart and bought the cheapest they had which was a Garmin C330.  After figuring it out,  I had a ball with it.  I could not believe what it would do.  Now the down side was the maps could lead one down some cowpaths that the unit thought was paved. I had the unit set to avoid unpaved roads too.  I guess the maps where not the 2008,  and it costs $70 to update them.  

Biggest disappointment was the unit could not be programed for a custom route.  I could select a destination and set one way point, but that was it.  Being primarily a motorcycle tourist,  want to stay on the scenic routes.  But the unit is only concerned with getting me to the destination. 

I was hoping that your web tour software would some how over ride this. But I found out a few days ago after writing a tour and downloading it into my c330, that it would not allow me to run all the points in order.

I have a deep interest in writing scenic tours for motorcycles or cars, and need to figure out what it takes to get a GPS to follow a predetermined route.

Thanks!

Randy

Edited by Goldwinger - 05 Oct 2007 at 11:46am
geovative View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geovative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 5:31pm

Randy,

Thanks for the brief story.  Welcome to the world of GPS and GPS tours!  The difficulty you're experiencing is a common one.  Unfortunately, Garmin's TourGuide feature has a few flaws.  The most prevalent is that it doesn't allow for an ordered tour route.  Rather, it simply orders the locations by proximity and doesn't allow you to route to each location.  Instead you can only route to one or two locations at a time.  The tour location does "play" whenever you get within its set proximity distance.  However, you can't be automatically routed from location to location.  This is a common request we've heard from GeoTours users.  We are currently taking the issue up with Garmin to see if we can effect some change in the TourGuide format.

GeoTours iQue allows you to be routed to each location without any manual intervention.  GeoTours Mobile also allows the tour locations to be played once and only once (the Garmin TourGuide format plays the location whenever you pass by it--not ideal for tours that pass by the same rode more than once).  Both of these are features that the Garmin TourGuide format doesn't allow, but I realize that they don't help your situation with your StreetPilot.

Thanks, Scott

Edited by geovative - 10 Oct 2007 at 5:35pm
Goldwinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 9:01pm
Thanks for the info.  I checked and I have version 8 maps, which I understand are the 2008.  I am guessing that the map people are more interested in the metro areas and keeping up with the new roads than getting the out of the way places right.  The boonies are not real accurate.  Anyway on the point of interest topic, how does a business (say gas station) get listed in the base information in the unit? I have come across numerous business not listed that would probably like to be.

Also I am trying to upload an 11K x 150px avatar image and I get this message...

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Permission denied

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 77

Thanks!

Edited by Goldwinger - 10 Oct 2007 at 9:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic